Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Year - New Craft


  Well, it's a new year and I wanted to try some new crafts or to learn more options with what crafts I  know how to do. I have been pretty lazy as far as creating and crafting over the past year. I really hadn't done much. But close to Christmas I got the itch again and made a bunch of small things for people. All my co workers got handmade hand warmers and lapel pins. You know I always have to make handcrafted gifts of some kind for Christmas. I then had a baby shower to go to and made the new baby bibs, burp cloths, a teddy bear and some cute felt booties.

  Since September of last year I have been ooing and aawing all the beautiful yarn work on Pinterest. But as much as I loved all the crochet, my crochet talents were very limited. Limited to the single and double crochets and the Granny Square. And knowing I have 2 more showers to attend by March and really wanting to learn how to do some of these beautiful little hats and booties, I decided to try my hand at them. Or at least the easiest of them. So last week I pulled out my yarn bag and went through it. Had some fancy yarns like fun fur yearns and half a skein of grey and half a skein of black, along with a G hook. So I ran up to Walmart for a couple of baby friendly colors of yarn and  a J hook.  Well I picked up a white skein of Red Heart yarn but they were sold out of most of the hook sizes. Well darn! So later I sat down with a YouTube video by Mikeyssmail on "how to do the easiest baby booty ever". I really suprised myself  when I actually did a booty. Well that was enough motivation for me! I did another one and they were the same size and shape.
  So I moved on and tried my hand at a pretty 3 layered crocheted flower by Epicabundance night before last. I did it! I was so proud of myself. Now that flower was not a beginner's project and I really made it and it looks really good.I made another one last night. I have not taken pictures yet but I will.
  My next challenge is to learn to read a crochet pattern. I found a pretty little baby booty pattern online. So I am going to attempt to make these by reading the pattern. There is not a video for this one so we will see how I do.
  So for my goals this year 2013, I will be the best I can be and that means learning new things and enhancing what I do know.
  Wish me luck! Until next time my little chicas....
  Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment