Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fire Roasted Corn Soup

Did I ever tell you I have won awards for my cooking. At the regatta each year here we have a cooking contest. All the local restaurants pick some of their best items and show them off at the civic center. People come from all over the country for our regatta so Thousands of people show up for the "Taste of Charleston".
For the last couple of years my hospital cafe has entered the contest. Since I'm the cafe cook and caterer, it is my food. Anyway I thought you might like the recipe for my soup that won in 2007.

Fire Roasted Corn Soup:
2 cups of fresh or frozen corn
1 cup each of diced celery,onions,carrots
1 can of diced pimentos
1/2 cup of diced red peppers
4 oz. solid pack chicken base (boullion)
1 TBSP. cumin
1 tsp. garlic
1 tsp. cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp. cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
*note: go light on the salt since boullion is salty anyway.

Place all ingredients in large stock pot cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 2 hours.
If you have a cream soup base add this to soup using a whisk and following container directions and simmer for 15 more minutes.
If you donot have cream soup base (starter) you can make your own
1 cup milk and 1 cup of flour whisk together and then whisk this into 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter.
Then whisk this roo" into the soup same as if you were adding the cream soup base.

Make a salad and serve with mexican or regular corn bread.
Yummy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment